If you are wondering what you can do to slow down the aging process, you aren’t alone.
In recent years there has been a significant rise in interest surrounding ways to slow down the aging process. It seems that every day there is a new discovery revealing how to stay younger, longer. In fact, the market for anti-aging products and services is among the fastest growing. Market projections estimate that it will reach over 215 billion dollars by the year 2021. But, which trends are merely gimmicks and which ones actually work?
Fountains of Youth: Proven Anti-Aging Remedies
While getting older is inevitable, there are lots of things that claim to fight the effects of aging. But, who wants to waste time on trying fads that may not really work? Here are some of the most effective, proven anti-aging remedies!
- Eat to Live: Everyone has heard the phrase “live to eat”, but scientists and nutritionists recommend certain foods that one should “eat to live”. The top life-giving foodson the list?
- Berries: Virtually every type of berry contains rich antioxidants. These antioxidants work as the body’s defenders against harmful free radicals that attack our immune systems.
- Turmeric: Turmeric just might be the spice of life. Known for its anti-inflammatory qualities, it has been shown to reduce symptoms of arthritis.
- Fish: This powerful food has been credited for brain-boosting, strengthening bones and lowering the risk of depression.
- Beans: Beans prevent constipation, which can become more of a problem as our digestive system slows. They also pack a protein-rich punch, which stabilizes blood sugar and can prevent mood swings and energy crashes.
- Cocoa: Go ahead and indulge in treats made with real cocoa, which contains a special antioxidant proven to protect the skin and cells from damage.
- Green Tea: Green tea earned its star power for its antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that fight joint pain and are linked to reducing heart disease.
- Love the Skin You’re in: It’s easy to neglect our skin when we are younger, but once we start inching further away from our twenties, the effects begin to show. To maintain a youthful appearance and keep wrinkles at bay, tending to your skin is a must.Don’t fall prey to the loads of trending products on the market. Many of those that boast of anti-aging super-powers may not be best for mature skin. Retin-A, for example, has been applauded on the market for years. But, beginning a skincare regimen once skin has begun maturing that includes Retin-A can actually cause more damagethan goodInstead, stick to these tried and true practices using only gentle products from trusted names. As we age our skin changes drastically. No longer do we have to fight oily excess from our younger days. Now, our main goal is protect and hydrate.
- Be careful not to dry skin out: Drying out your skin robs it of natural oils and emollients needed to ward off wrinkles, and facilitate collagen and cell production. Always use a moisturizer in the morning and night. Don’t take too hot showers. Washing your face is only necessary once a day. If this seems inadequate, use a soft, cool damp cloth and pat skin in the mornings to refresh your skin.
- Cream cleansers tend to be more gentle than soaps and scrubs. While it may be fine to use a gentle exfoliator on occasion, don’t use abrasive exfoliating products.
- Slather on the sunscreen: Even if we can’t completely reverse the sun’s damage, we can prevent it from continuing. As we age, skin becomes more delicate. The sun’s damage can happen faster than before. Even a short period in the sun can cause further damage and dry out skin. Look for moisturizers with sunscreen and use it even on cloudy days. Also, if you are going to be outside and have your skin exposed, be sure to lather up arms and legs as well.
- Move Your Body! Nothing will keep your body feeling young and looking its best like exercise. Exercising has a multitude of benefits in addition to keeping you toned. It regulates your metabolism and aids the digestive system, combats stress, depression and fatigue, alleviates muscle and joint pain, boosts energy levels and is great for heart-health and the circulatory system.It also strengthens the immune system. As we age, it becomes easier to find reasons not to maintain a regular exercise routine. But, experts recommend that even those who deal with chronic pain should keep moving as much as possible.
- Don’t Stress. Stress is one of the known factors facilitators in almost every disease. It can increase wrinkles and add inches to your waist. Look for ways to limit daily stress in addition to exercise. Spend at least fifteen minutes of quiet time each day, meditating, journaling, praying, or deep-breathing to help keep worries at bay.Incorporate activities in your daily and weekly activities that lower stress levels, such as spending time with friends, or honing an artistic hobby. Calm, “mindless” activities such as crochet, painting or gardening can give your brain a much-needed break.
- Doctor Knows Best. Make sure that you visit your physician for regular check-ups and practice wise measures to guard your healthcare. This often includes more than just maintaining regular medical insurance. Consider supplemental insurance to offset the costs of prescriptions and missed work. A supplemental policy can ensure that you are able to afford the things that you need to stay on top of your health.Things like medication or taking time off to rest when you are sick should not be considered optional. Taking care of your health and following doctor’s recommendations are of utmost importance as we get older. A setback that is ignored can become serious quick. Make sure that you keep your check-ups and insurance up to date. And be sure that you have plenty of coverage in case you get sick or injured.
Follow these recommendations to stay healthy, no matter your age. You can look and feel younger by listening to your body and taking care of yourself. After all, age is just a number and we are only as old as we feel!
Check out the Emerge homepage for more content like this!